Boston Common (also known as the Common) is a central public park located in Boston, Massachusetts. It is often called The Boston Commons. The park was founded in 1634 and is the first urban park in the United States. It was founded in 1634. Boston Common consists of 50 acres (20 ha) of land bordered by Tremont Street (139 Tremont St.), Park Street, Beacon Street, Charles Street, and Boylston Street. The Common forms part of the Emerald Necklace of parks and parkways that run from the Common southwards and north to Franklin Park in Jamaica Plain, Roxbury, and Dorchester. A visitor’s center that serves the entirety of Boston is situated in Tremont Street. Tremont street side of the park.
The Central Burying Ground is located on the Boylston Street side of Boston Common. It is home to the burial grounds for the artist Gilbert Stuart and the composer William Billings. There are also buried Samuel Sprague and his son, Charles Sprague, one of the earliest poets in America. Samuel Sprague participated in the Boston Tea Party and fought during the Revolutionary War. The Common was declared an official Boston Landmark by the Boston Landmarks Commission in 1977. Pest Control Boston King
Boston Common originally included the entirety of the block to the northeast of the area where Park Street is now, bordered by Beacon Street and Tremont Street. The present Granary Burying Ground was established in 1660 as one of the Common. In 1662 the land was divided from the Common. The southwest part of the Block was used for public use, which included the Granary and a home for correction. The northern portion was used to house. The purpose of the Common has changed over time. It was the property of William Blaxton (often given the modern version “Blackstone”), the first European settler from Boston until it was purchased from him in 1634 by Puritan founding members who founded the Massachusetts Bay Colony. In the 1630s, it was utilized by various families as a pasture for cows. But, it only lasted for a couple of years because wealthy families purchased additional cows. This led to excessive grazing, an actual example of the “tragedy of the commons.” After grazing was restricted from 1646 up to 70 animals per day, the Boston Common continued to host cows until they were removed from the area in 1830 by Mayor Harrison Gray Otis.
Restaurants and Pubs
- Busy Bee Restaurant & Diner is located at 1046 Beacon St, Brookline, MA
- El Pelon Taqueria is located at 92 Peterborough St, Boston, MA
- Corner Pub is located at 162 Lincoln St, Boston, MA
- The Hub Pub is located at 18 Province St, Boston, MA
Find other attractions similar to Boston Public Garden